Identities and Film: blog task

2) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.
  1. I am a filmmaker
  2. I am going to university to study film
  3. I am a photographer
  4. I am a creative genius
  5. I am pragmatic
  6. I am a Londoner
  7. I am an Arsenal fan
  8. I am 18 years old
  9. I am Bosnian and Syrian
  10. I am a sneakerhead
  11. I am tall
  12. I am the oldest sibling
  13. I am a Muslim
  14. I am a dog lover
  15. I am a Taurus
  16. I am hilarious
  17. I am motivated
  18. I am logical
  19. I am realistic
  20. I am down-to-earth 

3) Classify your answers into the categories listed on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

· Self Evaluations
· Ideological beliefs
· Interests
· Ambitions



4) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?

Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Lawless

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert) 

This trailer focuses on the taboo of homosexual couples, and the oppression they would face for not fitting into societal standards. This trailer suggests that the audiences are supposed to understand the complications that come with LGBT identities and to understand the hardships of concealing a relationship.

Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme) 

This film trailer constructs the prejudices that LGBT identities may face due to misconceptions. The story line, which is based on discrimination against LGBT identities provides the audience with an insight into the impact that discrimination can have on ones life, and how that changes in society are needed to overcome this i.e. the legal case

The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee) 

This film trailer similarly focuses on the hardships of concealing a relationship to overcome the societal standards that are implemented onto us. The audience are encouraged to understand these difficulties through sympathising with the characters. 


The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko) 

This trailer portrays homosexual couples in a positive light, suggesting that homosexual parents are no different to heterosexual parents in regards to how the children are raised and so on. The audience are encouraged to overcome the taboo topic of homosexual parents, as the trailer emphasises on the loving and caring traits. 


Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)

In this trailer the LGBT community are represented as segregated from the rest of the population. This is represented through the sense of alienation created from the villagers response towards the LGBT community. However this changes throughout the course of the trailer, as the villagers are seen appreciating the support of the community in a time of crisis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New and Digital Media: News case study introduction

The Economist: American newspapers resoundingly reject Donald Trump

NDM: The Decline of the newspaper industry